Saturday, January 28, 2012



I am originally from Benghazi, but sadly I have never set foot there nor do I know much about it even though it's my hometown. 
I was born and raised in Tripoli. It is what I first peeked and where I first trod. Tripoli occupies a great place in my heart. It is, without any exaggeration, my most beloved place on earth.

Words can never give justice to how much i cherish Tripoli. There is something about its air, sky, terrain, roads, and buildings, and no, it's not pollution and destruction. There's something about Tripoli that I can't grasp and convey through words, there's something about it that makes it magnificent.
For a capital of one of the world's richest countries, Tripoli is a disgrace. Libya is a disgrace itself, due to Gaddafi's 4 decades of systematical destruction and demolition. Nevertheless, Tripoli is the most majestic to me. Whenever I travel abroad I feel a huge void inside of myself, a void that only disappears the minute I arrive in that wreckage of an airport in Tripoli.

I consider Tripoli to be my hometown for I was born and reside in it. My love for Tripoli did not shine on me as an epiphany due to the revolution last year, unlike many people my age, I had loved it consciously and subconsciously ever since I was little. 
I can honestly say that all of my loyalty belongs to Tripoli. During the war, my greatest fear was the subversion that could had come to it, the thought of Gaddafi hopelessly destroying it in his, what many Arab political analysers call "The Dead Chicken Waltz", was my deepest trepidation for 7 months. The day Tripoli was liberated was the greatest, most memorable day of my life.

Nothing could be more heinous to me than a long absence from Tripoli. I would never want to or stand leaving it without a prompt return. Tripoli is where I want to live and where I want my grave to be dug.
May God save our beautiful capital from any harm.









No comments:

Post a Comment