Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ever since I could remember, I have always wanted to play guitar. Guitar has always interested me, ever since I heard a friend play expertly in front of me.

My first guitar was from a small guitar shop right by my house. Of course I wanted the most expensive and coolest looking guitar in the entire shop. However, my parents knew better and made me choose between a cherry red and a dark blue guitar. I chose the cherry red guitar as it was, at the time, my favorite color.

Learning how to play guitar was by all means not easy at all. The first thing I had to learn was how to read sheet music. At first, I could not understand how to read sheet music, as it was my first time playing a guitar. It took me countless times to memorize each note for each string and for each fret. Plus, I also had to know how to associate each note on paper for each note on my guitar. As well, I had to learn how to keep in tempo to the beat of each song I was learning at the time. However, my teacher often was impressed that I could keep the tempo. This made him seperate me from the rest of the group.

The next thing I learned was how to read guitar tablature. Learning tablature is considerably easier to understand and learn. However, in order for me to comprehend tablature I took my own initiative to learn and understand it better than from what my teacher taught me. With tablature, I learned new songs and I even wrote my own songs, to my favorite genre, blues.

Another thing that I have learned from playing guitar was to keep on trying again and again until I accomplish what I attend to do. For playing guitar, this required me to keep playing the same songs, riffs, or chords over and over again, until I can memorize and play the particular part. This demanded a lot of time, but I still kept my grades up to my parent's high standards and still managed to have time for my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment